WP2 – Electrification and sector integration
The aim of WP2 is to analyze pathways for the Swedish and Northern European electricity systems that address the anticipated electrification of the transport and industry sectors and account for flexibility provision by sector coupling (including hydrogen production), as the basis for iteration with the other work packages.
Objectives of WP2
- To provide pathways for the Swedish and the Northern European electricity system, including electrification of industry and transport, infrastructure requirements and sector integration for different assumptions on external parameters (scenarios), including different target trajectories on carbon emissions towards zero emissions.
- To investigate the possibilities from distributed generation, including prosumer systems in urban areas, and the role of electric vehicles, including smart charging strategies.
- To develop novel approaches to integrating spatial constraints and political and institutional feasibility constraints in techno-economic modeling by means of a set of key indicators for quantifying the input and outputs from modeling with respect to quantities required for the subsequent analyses in WPs 3–5.
- To assess sustainability impacts, synergies, and trade-offs.
- To assess the potential role of IT as an enabler of sector integration, such as the role of virtual power plants (e.g., aggregated heat pumps bidding on electricity markets).
- To develop solutions to guarantee stable operation of the power systems when operated with a high penetration of non-dispatchable electricity generation (most notably, wind power), and compare them from the technical and economic points of view.